Skip to main content

How Much Does an IFA Cost?

I was having a discussion with a fellow Capra owner and - after years of riding the IFA train as if it were heroin - I've gotten to the point where I think that I'm going to give up.

What I wanted to do was to determine how much it costs to acquire an IFA.  Now, the cost for particular teams varies based on any number of factors including luck, but I figured that I had average luck and had pursued a fairly optimal strategy.

My strategy was this:

  • If I was going to be in on IFAs, then I would maximize the amount of dollars available so that I wouldn't be outbid by other teams for players that I could see.  If you look back, I'd imagine that I've got the most or second most budget dollars available in well more than half of the seasons where I made a big push.
  • Avoid getting stuck with nothing.  Before the All-Star break I would pick and choose and try to get the best IFA possible.  After the All-Star break I would select the first ML quality IFA that I saw.
  • Because in most years my 1st round pick was in the late twenties or thirties and kind of crappy (especially because I often had 0 or 4 HS scouting), I would prioritize spending money on an IFA over signing my draft pick.  Only when my first round pick was a definite major leaguer would I sign him.  (of course, i would spend my leftover prospect money on whatever fringy players that I drafted). 

Below if a list of my IFA spending and outcomes for each of my years in the league.  Most of the columns are self-explanatory but here's a description anyway:
  • Season:  season selected (in some season I selected more that one "ML quality" player
  • Player:  player selected (only "ML quality" players are included.  No roster filling scrubs)
  • Bonus:  the amount spent on the bonus to sign the IFA
  • Intl Bgt:  my international scouting budget for the year
  • Prspct Bgt:  the amount allocated towards prospects (after the 50% tax)
  • Bonus: (crap this got cutoff by excel formatting)  this is money that I spent on my ML quality 1st round picks
  • True Int'l Cost:  (International Scouting) + (Initial Prospect Budget) + (Dollars Transferred into Prospects from Elsewhere) - (Money spent on ML Quality Draft Picks)
  • Outcome:  I rated the player's career quality (or, for more recent years, guessed and included an asterisk)






































The "Total True Int'l Cost' at the bottom is the amount of money that I figured that I allocated for signing international free agents.  This most definitely includes money that I made available to spend and wound up wasting because no suitable IFA was available.

The total for 37 seasons?  One billion, three hundred and seventy million.  That's right. $1,379,000,000.

Ok, now the goal is to see what I got for my money.  What I tried to do was spread the money across all of the signed players.  Assuming that I allocated/spent all of my money wisely, the value of the 31 players that I signed has to equals $1.379 billion.

So, in order to add up to that number, here's the cost that I assigned to each type of prospect in order to add up.



That's right, I'm estimating that it costs $213M to fetch yourself a Hall of Famer in the IFA market and $50M to get an above average major leaguer.

Compare that to the $4M that you spend on a #1 overall draft pick.  For having that #1 pick, a team gets to turn $4M into what would be $100 to $200M on the open market.

If we consider the IFA market an open market, that means that the #1 pick is worth roughly $100M to $200M on the open market.  Even a #20 pick, which typical nets the team either a Major Leaguer or occasionally an Above Average Major Leaguer should be worth $20 to $50M.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anaheim Anteaters Future Shock: Top 10 Prospects

1/ SP Hugh Palmer . Age 24. AAA. ETA: S10 Selected 13th in the 1st round of the S6 draft, Palmer dominated the lower minors and has averaged a 16-4/3.35 record in 3 minor league seasons. Palmer's big calling card has been the punchout as he's K'd 502 batters in 51o frames. His heater is in the mid-90s and still developing. Palmer comes with 2 good pitchers, the fastball and slider, but could use a better forkball and curveball to sharpen his repertoire. Palmer's about a season away from the bigs and projects to a solid #2 or #3 starter. 2/ SP Vasco Almonte . Age 22. AAA. ETA: S10 A former 1st round draft pick by Atlanta/Chicago, Almonte was traded to Anaheim for fellow prospect Tony Mendoza . Almonte has been consistent in the minors, if unspectacular, with a 4.15 era and 1.32 whip. However, Almonte is just 22 and has progressed quickly through the minors with a AAA season already in the books. If he continues to develop his fastball and change-up he can become a stalwa

HBD Ballpark Factors

Ballpark effects are ranked on a scale from - 4 to + 4, based on their impact on hits (1B), doubles (2B), triples (3B), home runs to left field (HR LF) and home runs to right field (HR RF). The more negative or positive number, the more extreme the effect for that hit in that direction. These numbers are just indicators of the relative effect in the simulation engine. They are important for users and founded entirely on historical fact, but are meant for display purposes and not explicitly used in the simulation engine. City/State Ballpark Capacity 1B 2B 3B LF RF PF Division  Albuquerque (New Mexico) Isotopes Park 11,124 4 4 4 1 0 1.211 West  Anaheim (California) Angel Stadium 45,050 0 -2 -2 0 0 0.951 West  Atlanta (Georgia) Turner Field 50,062 -1 -1 0 1 1 0.950 South, East  Arizona (Arizo

On Homers and Steroids, Part 3

Most Career Homers. Only Season 11 and on qualify...